Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Aspire to Endure

I aspire to endure. The phrase travels through my mind each time I'm out on the bike, pedaling up and down hills and through moose-infested areas, while I run through hoards of mosquitoes, in the dark, in the heat, and while I swim countless laps in the pool and around the swim area buoys at the lake, repetitiously. Endure. I must endure.

I was recently blessed enough to have my small essay on why I run picked for publishing/posting here. I am only one of many amazing women on this website who share a love of running and also share another bond. We are mothers. We are multi-taskers extraordinaire. We consciously choose to lace up and get out and move every chance we can, not only to better ourselves, but to be positive examples and role models for our children, and maybe even inspire someone to pick up a physical activity or hobby. Maybe we lace up just to get away from the piles of laundry in the hamper. Whatever the reason why, we choose to run.

I certainly don't pretend that training for my half iron man is not exhausting and time consuming, and I really, truly, can't wait for the day after my race. Granted, I will be sore beyond belief but I will have met another goal and challenged myself to finish something that is hard. I will probably be satisfied and relax for about five minutes before I try to decide which race to do next. Those of you who know me, understand. :-) Competing is addicting. Even though I am not fast and will probably never be an elite triathlete or marathoner, I will be an athlete. I will set out and finish each and every race I sign up for. Well, that's the goal anyway. Like I said in my story, and this quote is borrowed from someone, not sure who, "if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." Change is hard. Running is hard. Being a triathlete, mother, full-time employee, wife, is hard. Life is hard. But, we can all aspire to endure.

My half iron man is next Sunday. 12 days away. I am torn between feeling incredibly unprepared and slightly nauseous, and feeling ecstatic that I will be competing in a race that I've spent two years preparing for. I get to race! It's pretty awesome. I am excited to see the spectators cheering on all the athletes. I am excited to spend time away with my family, doing something I love. I am as ready as I'll ever be. Thank you, all of you, for joining me on my journey to 70.3 miles of swimming, biking, and running. Your support means everything.

On your mark, get set, go!

Keep on movin'

Iron Mike in Training

1 comment:

  1. Ty,

    This is all super awesome! It was great reading all the comments from people that you are an inspiration to! I am very proud of you and happy you found something you are so passionate about. Reading about it was very enjoyable even though I knew you were doing it, it was nice to hear everything on your mind. I do not tell you enough that I am proud of your accomplishments (not just running but family and life included)! You are a wonderful mother, wife, aunt, and sister! I love you and wish you the very best in your race, I know you will do great :) -Aaron

    ReplyDelete